Background

dsc07721
Songea Teachers College is a government institution. Historically, the college was established by Benedictines Missionaries of Catholic Church in Peramiho in 1927. It was known as Peramiho Teachers’ Training College, and its major aim was to train teachers who could serve in Catholic Missionary Schools. The need to train more teachers precipitated the expansion of the college; hence, in 1969 the college was transferred from Peramiho to Songea Town (Matogoro) in favour of vast land. The college was nationalized by the government in 1970 and was registered as public Teachers’ College on 1st July 1970, No. CU.28. The nationalization of privately owned institutions was a response to the Arusha Declaration of 1967 whose aim was to provide equal opportunities to all Tanzanians to access education regardless of their religious affiliations
Menu